If you’ve been on Instagram in the last few weeks and follow more than a couple of food bloggers, the chances are you’re well aware of the latest trend: UNICORN TOAST. This craze involves using natural food dyes such as beetroot and turmeric to colour cream-cheese which is then spread on toast. The rainbow-themed breakfast has taken social media by storm, and was started by Miami-based Adeline Waugh (A.K.A. @vibrantandpure), who often tops her unicorn toast with colourful sprinkles.
As part of the fast-growing tribe of people who avoid dairy for one reason or another, I thought I would share with you a step-by-step guide for a delicious alternative to cream-cheese if you want to recreate your own dairy-free unicorn toast!
TIP: Don’t be afraid to experiment with nature’s vibrant pigments to end up with a work of art.
Hot pink = beetroot juice
Light pink = 2-3 crushed strawberries
Purple = açai powder
Violet = blueberry powder
Orange = ground turmeric
Light green = matcha powder
Dark green = spirulina powder
Ingredients for the Base Cream:
1/2 cup raw cashews
1/4 tablespoon coconut oil
2 teaspoons maple syrup
1/4 lemon, juiced
2 drops vanilla extract
Pinch sea salt
Optional add-ins: 1 tablespoon chickpeas / 1 teaspoon tahini, 1 teaspoon maca/lucuma/baobab powder
1. Soak the cashews in water for at least two hours.
2. Drain the cashews and blend in a food processor or strong blender with all remaining ingredients.
3. Divide the base cream into as many bowls as colours you are making.
4. Stir in one natural food colouring (see above) to each bowl.
5. Spread on toast in colours stripes or splotches, then use a knife to smear the colours together.
6. Garnish with crushed pistachios, goji berries, chia seeds, or like Adeline, multi-coloured sprinkles!
7. Photograph (non-negociable) then dig in!
Let me know if you guys have a go on Instagram @cerealandpeanutbutter .